Applying for a Subdivision

According to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) any division of land, or combination of land, is required to undergo some sort of review process by the Planning Commission. This law replaces the previous system of root parcels with maximum allowable splits. 

Any division of or combination of land that does not undergo a subdivision type process shall be tagged as Non-Conforming, and non-conforming parcels cannot have building permits issued to them.

If you divide (or combine) land without going through the Plan Commission your property will not be build-able.

 For more information on the Subdivision process see page 9-4, "Process for Subdivision of Land" in the Noble County UDO, You can download your own copy of the UDO here.


Subdivision Types

(Please note: the following is commentary on, and a general overview of the subdivision processes in the Noble County Unified Development Ordinance and should not be construed as a comprehensive discussion on the subdivision process. For full and complete information regarding the requirements of dividing and combining land in unincorporated areas of Noble County please refer the the Noble County Unified Development Ordinance)

The UDO lists a number of Subdivision types and a few subdivision processes (ways to accomplish a subdivision). In most cases these subdivisions fall into three categories. 

1.) Major Subdivisions - These are subdivisions with four or more lots. Often they require interior streets, sidewalks, sewer and water hookups, and a number of other safety and developmental requirements. This type of subdivision is allowed under the UDO but they are very uncommon in unincorporated areas of Noble County.

2.) Minor type Subdivisions - Generally speaking, these are simple divisions of land with three or fewer lots. Usually the subdivision requirements are far less stringent as compared to major subdivisions. These types of subdivisions still require a plat (typically drawn up by a private land surveyor or planner) and lot numbers. 

Both Major and Minor type subdivisions must go through a process in the Plan Commission office and are ultimately approved or denied by the Plan Commission Board. 

3.) Administrative type subdivisions - This action is intended for the division of large tracts of ground, or the modification of property lines between two or more landowners, or the combination of tracts. The requirements are very specific for this type of process, and it will not apply in many situations. However, in cases where this type of process applies it will typically be quicker and far simpler than a traditional subdivision. 

Please note: Since it's adoption there has been considerable confusion about the Administrative Subdivision process. The term "Administrative Subdivision" has caused many to assume the end result is to be a named, platted subdivision with lots and lot numbers. In fact this is not the case. It may be easier to think of the Administrative Subdivision as an "administrative division of land". A named plat is not required, and the process should be looked at as more of an administrative review by the Plan Commission Office and Surveyor's Office that results in a simple division (or combination) of land. 

To learn more about any of the various subdivision types please refer to the Noble County Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), available for download here. 

Letter of Authorization Form

If a Landowner is unable to file a petition or attend a meeting regarding their legal property, the Letter of Authorization for an authorized agent (e.g. the petitioner's attorney, surveyor, a relative, or trusted associate) must be signed, notarized and returned to the Plan Commission Office at the time of application. 

Download and print the form here...